Dancing Terms and Dance Definitions
- a series of rhythmic and patterned bodily movements usually performed to music.
- danseur noble
- A male dancer who performs the "princely" roles of the classical ballet, such as the Prince in Swan Lake.
- A Cuban dance which starts slowly and gradually accelerates. This dance, which might be called a Rumba variation is in a 4/4 time. It is know as the aristocrat of all Cuban dances because of its dignified and stately appearance.
- Shifting weight from one foot to the other.
- A style of dancing that has elements of character dancing but remains within the classical technique.
- An unfolding of the leg in the air.
- dirty dancin'
- A general style of very intimate closed position partner dancing popularized in the late 80's by actor/dancer Patrick Swayze in the movie "Dirty Dancin". Danced to popular fast or slow music and characterized by sensuous and seductive movements by both the man and woman.
- Dominican merengue
- The dance of the Dominican Republic is 2/4 time with syncopation of the first beat interpreted by the dancers as a slight limp.
- A theatrical type of movement in which the follower’s body weight is partially or completely supported by the leader while at least one part of the follower’s body remains in contact with the floor.
Recommend this Dance Terminology D page to a friend on Google, Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, Yahoo, email +293 more social networks.
Page content: Dance terminologies D, terms in dance D